Wednesday, August 17, 2016

"Nigeria beating Brazil at Atlanta 96 inspired me to become a footballer" - Mikel Obi





Team Nigeria captain and Chelsea FC of England midfielder John Obi Mikel has revealed that Nigeria beating Brazil at Atlanta 1996 was what inspired him to become a professional footballer. And Mikel feels if the Under 23 team wins gold in Rio it’ll inspire another generation of young footballers in Nigeria.

“I remember a little . I remember that day I was sleeping , my father woke me up. I remember the goals,” Mikel told TV Globo. “This inspired me to take the game seriously and to be who I am today . I hope we can now win gold again to inspire young children in Nigeria.”

Mikel, 29, has won the Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup, Champions League, Europa League and African Cup of Nations, but no Olympic gold.

“It is something missing in my career. I never played the Olympics, this is my first . My goal here is to win the gold medal, it is what moves me. Coming here I spoke to the coach, we are all here walking in the same direction, me, him and the rest of the players . “That’s the reason I’m here. I hope to return to the house with gold.”




"Nigeria beating Brazil at Atlanta 96 inspired me to become a footballer" - Mikel Obi
Previous Post
Next Post

About Author

0 Comments: